- Annual Tuition Fees
- One-off Entrance Fees
- Annual Mandatory Fees
- Other Expenses & Optional Fees
- Payment Options & Refund Policy
- Payment Instructions
As a non-profit educational institution, we rely almost entirely on annual tuition fees to cover our operating expenses. The school is subject not only to the increasing cost pressures of operating in Japan but also to competitive forces in the wider international schools’ market and international educational resource suppliers. Parents should therefore anticipate some level of increase in annual tuition fees, and financial donations to help enhance school programs and facilities are gratefully accepted.
The Annual Tuition Fees for the 2022/23 school year are as follows:
|Grade Level||Annual Payment|
|Pre Kindergarten (3 & 4 years old)||¥1,429,000|
|Kindergarten - Grade 5||¥1,456,000|
|Grades 6 - 8||¥1,573,000|
|Grades 11 - 12||¥1,760,000|
|Type of Fee||Cost|
|Application Processing Fee||¥20,000|
|Admission Testing Fee||¥30,000|
The Application Processing Fee covers the cost of application processing. This fee is due at the time of application and is not refundable.
The Admission Testing Fee covers the cost of testing and is only charged if it is required during the application process. The Admission Testing Fee is due during the application process and is not refundable.
The Registration Fee is to cover the initial set up of students at FIS. This fee is due on the 25th of August (or for late enrollments, at the time of the first tuition payment) and is not refundable. If your child (or children) is returning to FIS after some time away, you will be charged the current registration fee minus your previous registration payment, per child, at the time of re-enrollment.
*In the case that your child enrolls at FIS during the same school year(s) as his (her) sibling(s), the Registration Fee of the subsequent child(ren) will be reduced by 25% for the 2nd child, and 50% for a subsequent child. You will need to provide the school office with a copy of the “Juminhyou"（住民票）to serve as proof of your children being siblings.
|Type of Fee||Annual Cost|
|Accident Insurance Fee||¥4,800|
|Trip Fee||¥5,000 (Elementary only)|
The Facility Fee helps us to maintain and improve the facilities at FIS. The Facility Fee is due on the 25th of August and is not refundable. In the case of late enrollment, the Facility Fee is due in full with the first tuition payment.
The Accident Insurance Fee is to cover the accident insurance of students at FIS. The Accident Insurance Fee is due on the 25th of August and is not refundable. In the case of late enrollment, the Accident Insurance Fee in full is due with the first tuition payment.
The Trip Fee is to cover the cost of annual FIS field trips in the Elementary School. In case of official withdrawal from the school, if there is a balance remaining, a refund may be made. In the Secondary School, students will be invoiced for each field trip accordingly.
The Yearbook Fee covers the cost of our annual Yearbook. The Yearbook is a wonderful wrap up of the year and a lovely keepsake item. The fee is charged to all students who enroll prior to Picture Day (usually held in late September/early October), and it is not refundable. Students who enroll after this time will not be charged the Yearbook Fee and will not receive a Yearbook. If you/your child enters the school following Picture Day and wishes to purchase a Yearbook, please speak to the School Office.
Students from Grade 3 onwards are required to purchase an FIS PE uniform top. This can be purchased through our online uniform store - where we also have several optional uniform items for sale (including sports shorts, track pants, fleeces, hoodies and house t-shirts). Our house t-shirt is not compulsory, however from time to time students will be required to wear their house colors to a school event. Many of our students choose to purchase, and wear, an FIS house t-shirt.
We have an optional lunch service available at an additional cost. Please refer to our Lunch Program page for more information.
There are three tuition fee payment options available:
- One installment, due on the 25th August.
- Two installments, one due on August 25th (covering the tuition period from August-December), and the other due on December 25th (covering the tuition period from January - June).
- Nine installments, each due on the 25th of the month from August to April. The August payment will be higher as it covers the tuition for both August and September.
Late Enrollment/Early Withdrawal:
Students that arrive after the August start date or withdraw from school before the end of the school year then
• All fees except for the Tuition will be charged in full.
• In case of late enrollment, the tuition will be charged on a pro-rated basis.
• In the case of early withdrawal, the tuition will be charged until the last day of the month of your child’s last school day.
• In case of withdrawal in April, May and June, there are no refunds. In case of withdrawal, please notify the school office by submitting a “Withdrawal Form”, at least 15 days prior to your child/ren's withdrawal day.
In the case of delayed payments, the school policy does not allow the release of report cards, transcripts, letters of reference, graduation diplomas, Yearbook or any other school records to all individuals concerned. If two or more payments are delayed, then the student(s) may be subject to suspension from attending school until all delayed payments are confirmed. Until all payments of the corresponding school year are received by the school, your child(ren) will not be able to attend school the following year. Those who still have any remaining amounts and wish to re-enroll in the school will not be accepted for re-enrollment.
Tuition payment must be made via bank transfer as per the following instructions:
• Please make the bank transfer under your child’s name in the English alphabet according to the payment schedule on the school-fee bill. The school-fee bill will be issued at the time of enrollment, or at the beginning of every school year. Please keep the bill until all your payments are completed.
• All bank charges are the payer’s responsibility.
• Unfortunately payments in cash or credit card are not accepted and automatic deductions are not available.